Lethbridge-Stewart: 2015/2016 schedule update

Monday, 6 April 2015 - Reported by Chuck Foster
Candy Jar Books have announced a change in schedules for their novels based upon the character of Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.

Owing to Lance Parkin being unavailable for the project at present, his novel Horror of Det-Sen will no longer be published in June, with David A McIntee's The Schizoid Earth now moving into that slot. Shaun Russell, head of publishing, said:
Lance is such a huge talent in the world of Doctor Who and we have left the door open for him to return. Hopefully, one day, Lethbridge-Stewart will make it to Det-Sen.
McIntee's novel will be followed by a new replacement a few months later entitled Beast of Fang Rock which, as the name implies, is a prequel/sequel to the Season 15 opener Horror of Fang Rock; it will be co-written by Andy Frankham-Allen and the original script's writer Terrance Dicks. This will then be followed by the previously announced Mutually Assured Domination by Nick Walters.

Looking to 2016, novels have been commissioned from John Peel (author of a number of Virgin/BBC Books and story novelisations), Jonathan Cooper (former Doctor Who correspondent with the Mirror), Lizbeth M Myles (author of several short stories), and Adrian Rigelsford (The Hinchcliffe Years and The Harper Classics).



Lethbridge-Stewart: Top Secret Files (Credit: Candy Jar Books)To celebrate the success of the first book in the range, The Forgotten Son, Candy Jar Books have made a 65 page e-book freely available for download from their website. Hayley Cox, senior publishing co-ordinator, said:
The response to The Forgotten Son has been fantastic – over twenty really positive reviews in just over a month! It was so nice, in fact, that we decided we wanted to give something back to the fans, and so we put together this ebook which acts as both a thank you to those who’ve already bought the first book, and an introductory pack for those who have yet to commit to the series.

Lethbridge-Stewart: Top Secret Files contains previously unpublished material, as well as an extended short story first published in Doctor Who Magazine #483 in February. It also includes a special, previously unreleased interview in which Doctor Who director Graeme Harper talks about the actor who played Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Nicholas Courtney.
  • The Ambush! – A short story originally published in Doctor Who Magazine #438, now extended with new scenes. It is set during the Doctor Who serial The Web of Fear, and serves as an introduction to the Lethbridge-Stewart book series.
  • We Won’t Let Him Down – An extended version of the final chapter of Candy Jar Books’ Companions: Fifty Years of Doctor Who Assistants, focussing solely on the television adventures of the Brigadier.
  • What Lies Beyond – A brief look at some of the Doctor Who novels that have featured the Brigadier over the years that pertain to the future of the Lethbridge-Stewart series of novels.
  • Graeme Harper – An extended interview with Doctor Who director Graeme Harper (the only director to have worked on the classic series and the revived series) from the book Calling the Shots, in which he talks about Nicholas Courtney, the man who brought the Brigadier to life.
  • Original Prelude – Never-before-seen original prelude that was written to open The Forgotten Son, set during the final moments of the Brigadier’s life.
  • The New World – The opening chapter of The Forgotten Son, the first novel in the Lethbridge-Stewart series.
The e-book is also available for the Kindle via Amazon.





FILTER: - Books - Lethbridge-Stewart - Merchandise

Sneak Peek - Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor #9​

Monday, 6 April 2015 - Reported by Marcus
Wed​nesday ​April​ 15​ ​sees the release of ​Doctor Who: Tenth Doctor #9, written by Robbie Morrison and illustrated by Daniel Indro.
The Tenth Doctor is trapped in No Man’s Land. Surrounded by Weeping Angels on all sides. Bombarded by artillery both British and German. No weapons of any use. No protection against the cold. Tired, hungry, and walking wounded.

Things have never looked so dire for the Doctor and Gabby, or for their new friend, weary soldier Jamie Colquhoun.

With time running out, can victory be found in the stone jaws of certain defeat? There’s only one defence left…

Don’t blink. Don’t. Even. Blink.


Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor #9 (Credit: Titan)Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor #9 (Credit: Titan)Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor #9 (Credit: Titan)Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor #9 (Credit: Titan)Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor #9 (Credit: Titan)




FILTER: - Comics - Tenth Doctor

Listen Gets Hugo Nomination

Sunday, 5 April 2015 - Reported by Marcus
Doctor Who: Listen has been nominated for a 2015 Hugo Award.

The episode, written by Steven Moffat and directed by Douglas Mackinnon, was the fourth episode of Series Eight, shown worldwide last Autumn, and is nominated in the Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form category.

Other shows nominated include Game of Thrones, which has triumphed at the awards in the previous two years.
Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form
  • Doctor Who: “Listen”, written by Steven Moffat, directed by Douglas Mackinnon (BBC Television)
  • The Flash: “Pilot”, teleplay by Andrew Kreisberg & Geoff Johns, story by Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg & Geoff Johns, directed by David Nutter (The CW) (Berlanti Productions, DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. Television)
  • Game of Thrones: “The Mountain and the Viper”, written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, directed by Alex Graves ((HBO Entertainment in association with Bighead, Littlehead; Television 360; Startling Television and Generator Productions)
  • Grimm: “Once We Were Gods”, written by Alan DiFiore, directed by Steven DePaul (NBC) (GK Productions, Hazy Mills Productions, Universal TV)
  • Orphan Black: “By Means Which Have Never Yet Been Tried”, ” written by Graham Manson, directed by John Fawcett (Temple Street Productions, Space/BBC America)
The 2015 Hugo Award and John W. Campbell Award winners will be announced Saturday, August 22, 2015, during the Hugo Awards Ceremony at the 2015 Worldcon.




FILTER: - Awards/Nominations - Series 8/34 - Steven Moffat

4th Doctor Scarf - Easter Offer

Friday, 3 April 2015 - Reported by Marcus

Doctor Who News is pleased to offer readers a chance to purchase an official Doctor Who 4th Doctor Scarf at a special discounted price.

The 18 foot scarf is a replica of the one worn by Tom Baker throughout Seasons 16 and 17 of Doctor Who
  • Length: 18ft (5.48m) excluding tassels and Width: 10 inches (25cm)
  • Made from 100% premium quality Acrylic
  • Free UK delivery
  • 90 day money back guarantee means that if you're not 100% happy, you can simply send it back and receive a full refund - with no questions asked.
Readers of Doctor Who News can enjoy a discount of 10% off the retail price of £69.99.

To take advantage of the offer use the code DOCTOR10. The offer runs throughout the weekend and ends at midnight on Sunday.

To order click this link




FILTER: - Merchandise - Special Offers

Doctor Who on Bit Torrent - Legally

Friday, 3 April 2015 - Reported by Marcus
BBC Worldwide has announced a new collaboration with content distribution service BitTorrent to mark a decade of new Doctor Who.

To celebrate ten years since the series reboot, the file sharing network will be offering a ten story box set featuring specially selected highlights from the modern era of Doctor Who for $12 globally.

The package will include exclusive video content from incumbent Doctor Peter Capaldi who gives his insight into some of his favourite Doctor Who episodes as well as Doctor Who: Earth Conquest – the documentary about the 2014 global tour which saw Capaldi and companion Jenna Coleman travel the world to meet their fans.

Julia Kenyon, Director of Drama Brands, BBC Worldwide comments:
Ten years ago, the Doctor’s journey began anew with Russell T Davies and Rose. The Time Lord continues to evolve and refresh and this innovative deal with BitTorrent allows us to directly reach a huge number of consumers and engage with fans on a global and fast-growing digital platform. Music content has seen tremendous success through BitTorrent Bundles and this deal is the first of its kind for British TV content
Matt Mason, Chief Content Officer at BitTorrent adds:
For over fifty years, Doctor Who has challenged the way we see time, space, and TV — the way we tell stories. A series like this should be part of a versatile platform; one capable of reaching and engaging fans around the world. BitTorrent Bundle is that platform. It’s fantastic that BBC Worldwide is the media organization forward-thinking enough to make a release like this possible. This is an exciting way for fans to celebrate ten years of New Who and we are honoured to welcome the Doctor to BitTorrent.
The ten story box set will be available globally to stream or download from the BitTorrent Website.

The $12 Download / Stream Package includes




FILTER: - Blu-ray/DVD - Day of the Doctor - Series 1/27 - Series 2/28 - Series 3/29 - Series 4/30

Charity Project seeks Submissions

Friday, 3 April 2015 - Reported by Marcus
A new project is seeking submissions for for a Doctor Who short story anthology.

Time Shadows: Into Abyss is a project for charity by Pseudoscope Publishing, edited by Matt Grady and Sam Gibb. Commissioned writers will receive a printed contributor’s copy of the anthology.

All sale proceeds will be donated to e-NABLE, a global network of volunteers who are using their 3D printers, design skills, and personal time to create free 3D printed prosthetic hands for those in need.

Over 2,000 years, the Doctor has worn many faces and led many lives. He has confronted some of the most dangerous creatures in the universe, and fought the demons that lurk within his own soul. Some fights he was won. Others have left his hearts broken.

The Doctor has held the Key to Time in his hands, and wielded a weapon that ended billions of lives in a single Moment. But he has also stopped to comfort a crying child, argued the virtue of a well-prepared meal, fallen in love, and experienced cities made of song.

An impossible man living an impossible life, running away from responsibility and into danger – into abyss.

The stories of Time Shadows: Into Abyss will explore the past actions and future consequences of the Doctor, his friends and his enemies, and reflect on how they lived to fight another day.
Submission Guidelines

Submission for Twelfth Doctor stories will not be accepted. Submissions will be by invite only.

Stories should feature one of twelve televised incarnations of the Doctor (i.e. William Hartnell to Matt Smith), including the War Doctor.

Stories should range in length between 2500 to 8000 words.

Stories should be set in the Doctor Who universe (no crossovers), featuring the Doctor as the protagonist. Stories featuring an established companion or enemy as the protagonist will be considered, as long as the Doctor makes a prominent cameo. Companions or villains may be drawn from the TV series or Big Finish audios.

Stories with adult themes are acceptable as long as the content is neither gratuitous nor unnecessary.

Continuity-heavy stories will be considered, as long as the story comes first and stands up on its own legs.

All work should be original. Do not submit any work that has been printed elsewhere. If your work is accepted, you must not allow it to appear anywhere else (including online) for at least a year after the release of the anthology.

What to Send

Send an outline in Word or Rich Text format, or as text in an e-mail. Outlines should be no more than 500 words in length, and include a full plot synopsis.
In addition to the outline, if this is your first time submitting, send some sample fiction you’ve written previously, such as a chapter from a novel or a short story.
E-mail submissions to editors Matt and Sam at pseudoscope2015@gmail.com.
Deadline for outlines is April 30, 2015.




FILTER: - Books

Official Walking Tour Returns to Cardiff

Thursday, 2 April 2015 - Reported by Marcus
The Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff Bay celebrates the Easter holiday with the return of the ‘Official Doctor Who Filming Locations Tour’, a carefully curated walking tour of Cardiff Bay hosted by the Doctor Who Experience.

Fans, families and visitors to Cardiff will have the opportunity to get closer to the show, as the walking tour takes in more than 40 filming locations for Doctor Who. The 75 minute tour will takes fans into parts of Cardiff Bay which were used to double for different cities and planets from episodes across the last 10 years including those from the recent S8 featuring Peter Capaldi as the Doctor and Jenna Coleman as Clara Oswald.

The tour will run over Easter weekend (Friday 3rd to Monday 6th April) and Thursday 9th, Friday 10th, Saturday 11th April. Tours will then continue every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 17th April to 27th June 2015.

Also at Easter, the Doctor Who Experience welcomes a wealth of new props and costumes from Series 8. Featured items include outfits worn by Jenna Coleman as Clara Oswald from three episodes: Kill the Moon, Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline. The new props will join earlier Series 8 popular installations from the series including the Half-face man from Deep Breath as well as pieces from Robot of Sherwood and the Skovok Blitzer from The Caretaker.

Full details at the Doctor Who Experience Website.




FILTER: - Special Events

Today is #NinthDoctorComicBookDay

Wednesday, 1 April 2015 - Reported by Marcus
Today, April 1, sees the release of a brand-new mini-series starring the Ninth Doctor​, ​as played by Christopher Eccleston.

Written by the co-author of bestselling ‘Who-ology’, Cavan Scott and illustrated by artist Blair Shedd (Legends of Oz, Ghostbusters), this 5-part mini-series also features characters Rose and Captain Jack.

To celebrate​ ​today's launch​ Titan have released a ​special ​video me​ssage from writer Cavan Scott​ filmed especially from the Ninth Doctor​'s​ TARDIS at ​the Doctor Who Experience at Cardiff..





FILTER: - Comics - Ninth Doctor

Myth Makers - April Releases

Tuesday, 31 March 2015 - Reported by Marcus
A new interview with Doctor Who composer Dominic Glynn is released on April 1 by Reeltime Pictures as part of the Myth Makers series.

Dominic Glynn is one of Britain's most prolific composers of production music. His work can be heard in hundreds of films and TV productions worldwide. His music features in productions as diverse as "The Simpsons", "Red Dwarf" and "Dead Like Me" and in movies such as Eddie Murphy/Jeff Goldblum comedy "Holy Man" and the award-winning "You've Been Trumped". More recently his work can be heard in the official trailer for the latest Brendan Gleeson/Chris O'Dowd film "Calvary". A familiar name to "Doctor Who" fans, Glynn is one of the few people to have arranged the theme tune to the classic TV series. His career began with his 1986 reworking of the famous theme that accompanied Colin Baker's Doctor, and he composed incidental music for the series throughout the late 1980s.
The DVD is available from Galaxy 4 or can be ordered or downloaded from Time Travel TV

Also out this month are re-issues of some classic interviews from Myth Makers All are available from Time Travel TV




FILTER: - Blu-ray/DVD - People

Doctor Who Adventures moves to Panini

Monday, 30 March 2015 - Reported by Anthony Weight
Doctor Who Adventures, issue 354, 2014Doctor Who Adventures, the UK-published magazine aimed at younger Doctor Who fans, is to move publishers to Panini UK from next month, where it will become a stablemate of Panini's existing Doctor Who Magazine.

DWM editor Tom Spilsbury confirmed the news on the Gallifrey Base Doctor Who fan forum this evening, stating that the first Panini issue will appear on the 23rd of April, with an advert to appear in the new issue of DWM due out later this week.

DWA began life in 2006, during the first wave of popular success for the revived Doctor Who, and was initially published by BBC Worldwide, the Corporation's own commercial subsidiary. Like most of Worldwide's magazine output, it was sold off to Immediate Media in 2011, who have published the title until this point. Initially a fortnightly title, its success saw it increased to weekly publication from issue 47.

However, DWA has seen a marked decrease in circulation figures over the past five years, selling an average of just under 20,000 copies per issue in the first half of 2014, as opposed to over 50,000 for the same period in 2010 (see our previous story). It has also decreased in publication frequency from a weekly back to a fortnightly and then a monthly title.

The website DownTheTubes.org has further information on the news, including a preview of the first new-style DWA comic strip. This strip will be drawn by Russ Leach - there is no news yet on whether DWA's long-standing artist John Ross will return to the publication at all.

The DownTheTubes article also confirms that Jason Quinn will take over as editor, with the April 23rd issue being a new issue 1, as opposed to continuing the existing numbering. The current issue of DWA on sale, issue 363, will be the final one to be published by Immediate Media, and will remain on sale until next month.




FILTER: - DWA - DWM