It is now traditional for the Doctor to entertain us on Christmas Day - and for Doctor Who News
to run its Christmas Ratings Competition!
This competition has now closed.
As usual, the aim is to guess the BARB final consolidated viewing figure
for Doctor Who
on Christmas Day, to the nearest 10,000 viewers (i.e. two decimal places).
This year, The Snowmen
will be broadcast at 5:15pm
, and will be facing ITV1's New You've Been Framed
(5:30pm), and Paul O'Grady: For the Love of Dogs
(6:00pm). Other programmes include films The Fellowship of the Ring
(Channel 4 from 5:40pm) and The Santa Incident
(Channel 5 from 5:25pm), and a documentary Sister Wendy and the Art of the Gospel
(BBC2, from 5:25pm).
We are delighted to be able to invite the winner to a recording of a Big Finish
audio adventure - the recording, which will feature Sylvester McCoy
as the Doctor, will take place on 21st January 2013
(see terms and conditions below).
An alternative prize will be available to the winner should they be unable to attend the recording.
Entering The Competition:
To enter the competition, please send the following details to email@example.com
- Your name and email address
- Your country (full address will only be requested if you are a winner)
- An alternative contact number (in case we cannot reach you through email)
- Confirmation of being able to attend the Big Finish recording (see terms and conditions)
- Where you read about this competition
- And of course ... your guess for the final viewing figure!
Previous Ratings / Current Odds:
For comparison, the ratings for the previous Christmas Day episodes in recent years are as follows: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe
), A Christmas Carol
), The End Of Time: Part One
), The Next Doctor
), Voyage of the Damned
), The Runaway Bride
), The Christmas Invasion
is currently considered to be the second-most favourite to top the Christmas TV ratings, according to William Hill
. Odds given at the time of writing are 4/1
(up from 5/1 earlier in the week), with the runaway favourite being EastEnders
at 1/2. Downton Abbey
is third at 5/1, with the other major soap Coronation Street
at 8/1. Other shows expected to do well are The Royle Family
(10/1) and Call the Midwife
(14/1). For the ITV1 programmes in direct opposition to Doctor Who
, New You've Been Framed
is 100/1, Emmerdale
is 40/1, and Paul O'Grady
Terms And Conditions:
- The competition closes at 6:15pm, 25th December 2012
- Only one entry will be accepted per person.
- The competition is open worldwide - however, please note Big Finish details below.
- BARB figures are expected in early January; we will contact the winner once they have been published.
- In the event of a tie, the winner will be chosen from random from out of our fez.
- The Big Finish recording will take place at their studio near Hammersmith, London - however, travel and accommodation is not included. You must confirm in your competition entry whether you are able to attend the recording or not - an alternative prize will be offered instead should you be a winner.
- Entrants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- If you do confirm you will be attending, you are also agreeing to keep the confidentiality of any plot details or other information unveiled by Big Finish or the cast.
With thanks to Big Finish for arranging the recording visit