Inferno - Special Edition
Release date: 27 May 2013 UK (available for pre-order)
Release date: 27 May 2013 UK (available for pre-order)
- Commentary with actors Nicholas Courtney (The Brigadier) and John Levene (Sergeant Benton), producer Barry Letts and script editor Terrance Dicks.
- Production Notes
- Digitally remastered picture and sound quality
- Can You Hear the Earth Scream? (dur. 34'45") Actors and production team recall working on the story in this specially-shot featurette.
- Hadoke versus HAVOC (dur 27’33”) – Presenter Toby Hadoke reunites surviving members of the HAVOC stunt team and trains with them to perform a stunt himself. Will he survive to become an honorary member of HAVOC? With stunt arranger Derek Ware and stunt men Roy Scammell, Derek Martin and Stuart Fell.
- Doctor Forever – Lost in the Dark Dimension (dur 27’26”) - the penultimate instalment of our new five part series looking at how Doctor Who was kept alive in the years between the end of the classic series and the beginning of the new. In this episode we look at the various attempts to bring the show back during that period. With current and former Doctor Who Magazine editors Tom Spilsbury, John Freeman and Gary Russell, former BBC range editor Steve Cole, actor David Burton, writer Adrian Rigelsford, director Graeme Harper and new series executive producer Russell T Davies. Narrated by Zeb Soanes.
- The UNIT Family - Part One (dur 35'35") - a featurette looking at the Earthbound Doctor's 'family' during his exile to Earth and his new role as the scientific advisor to the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce.
- Visual Effects Promo Film (dur 6'00") - an excerpt from an early attempt to 'sell' the experience and facilities of the BBC Visual Effects Department to new clients. This short film features model effects filming from the Doctor Who stories The Ambassadors of Death and Inferno, a watertank sketch from Marty Amok featuring Marty Feldman, model shots from The Caves of Steel and the filming of the forced-perspective model pier for the explosive finale of the missing Doomwatch episode, Survival Code.
- Deleted Scene (dur 1'56") - a short deleted scene which was never seen in the original BBC transmission of the story, featuring a rather too obvious Jon Pertwee as the voice of a radio presenter.
- The Pertwee Years Intro (dur 2'43") - a short introduction to the story's final episode from Jon Pertwee, originally presented as part of BBC Video's The Pertwee Years VHS release.
- Photo Gallery (dur 6'10")
- Easter Egg 1 (dur 1'01") - clean opening title backgrounds including the special 'volcano' graphics used for this story.
- Easter Egg 2 (dur 0'40") - VT countdown clock for episode 7.
- Easter Egg 3 – Being David Burton (dur 5’20”) – actor David Burton talks at greater length about his career and casting as the Doctor.
- Doctor Who Annual - an Adobe PDF version of the 1971 Doctor Who Annual, supplied as a PC-ROM feature for access by PC and Mac users.
- Coming Soon - a trailer for a forthcoming DVD release.
- Radio Times Listings in Adobe PDF format.
- Programme subtitles.
The Mind of Evil: Following Inferno is the last Pertwee adventure to premiere on DVD - but the first time it has been seen in colour for over three and a half decades! The Mind of Evil is currently scheduled for release in the United Kingdom on 3rd June, and the BBFC have recently classified features that will accompany the story:
00:24:41:08 DOCTOR WHO - THE MIND OF EVIL - EPISODE ONE (WITH AUDIO COMMENTARY)
00:24:33:04 DOCTOR WHO - THE MIND OF EVIL - EPISODE TWO (WITH AUDIO COMMENTARY)
00:24:33:13 DOCTOR WHO - THE MIND OF EVIL - EPISODE THREE (WITH AUDIO COMMENTARY)
00:24:40:21 DOCTOR WHO - THE MIND OF EVIL - EPISODE FOUR (WITH AUDIO COMMENTARY)
00:23:34:16 DOCTOR WHO - THE MIND OF EVIL - EPISODE FIVE (WITH AUDIO COMMENTARY)
00:24:39:21 DOCTOR WHO - THE MIND OF EVIL - EPISODE SIX (WITH AUDIO COMMENTARY)
00:00:23:10 THE MIND OF EVIL - RESTORATION CREDITS
00:22:41:23 THE MILITARY MIND - MAKING THE MIND OF EVIL
00:07:04:23 NOW & THEN - THE LOCATIONS OF THE MIND OF EVIL
00:04:53:21 THE MIND OF EVIL - PHOTO GALLERY
00:23:59:13 BEHIND THE SCENES
The Behind The Scenes has been reported to be a segment from an educational series, which in this episode focusses on twenty-four hours at BBC Television Centre and includes sets from The Mind of Evil.
The story was premiered last weekend at the BFI (see our review for more details), and will also be shown as part of the the Birmingham Flatpack Festival on 30th March, and at the Belfast Film Festival on 18th April. Following its release, a signing for both The Mind of Evil and Inferno will take place in London on the 8th June - see the Fantom Films website for more details.
A brief description of the colourisation process and a selection of stills by Stuart Humphryes from the first episode can be seen via his Babelcolour website.
Coming Soon: The BBFC have classified "Coming Soon" trailers for the forthcoming stories: Inferno (1m2s); The Mind of Evil (1m12s); Terror of the Zygons (1m9s); and The Green Death (1m22s). Though scheduled for later in the year, the trailer for The Ice Warriors appeared on the just released The Aztecs Special Edition (reviewed here).
The Underwater Menace: Frazer Hines mentions in the current issue of Doctor Who Magazine that whilst visiting BBC Television Centre for filming of Pointless Celebrities (to be broadcast on the 23rd March), the previous time he had visited the 'home' of the BBC was to record a commentary which he believes to have been for The Underwater Menace; last year special sound recordist Brian Hodgson had also suggested he'd recorded a commentary for the story.
Episode Two of the story, recovered in 2011, is the only remaining episode of classic Doctor Who yet to be formally scheduled for released on DVD (episode three was released in 2004's Lost in Time DVD boxed set).