As always, the aim is to predict the final consolidated viewing figure in the United Kingdom for Spyfall Part One as reported by BARB, to the nearest 10,000 viewers (i.e. two decimal places). In addition, we'd like you to predict Doctor Who's position in the weekly chart (which will be used in the case of a tie-break).
The episode is broadcast in the UK on New Year's Day at 6:55pm on BBC One; ITV will broadcast Doctor Who's 'traditional' competition in the form of Emmerdale from 7:00pm, with BBC Two showing Masterchef: The Professionals Rematch 2019 (also at 7:00pm), Channel 4 halfway through The Lion King (6:00pm), and Channel 5 continuing The Two Ronnies: the Unseen Sketches (from 6:20pm). Last year's BBC prime time premiere was the return of Luther: this year it is the new adaptation of Dracula from the pen of Sherlock and of course Doctor Who writers Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss.
For comparison, last year's New Year's Day special, Resolution, was watched by 7.13 million viewers, and achieved 14th place in the weekly chart. Its 7:00pm timeslot put it up against Emmerdale on ITV, The Snow Wolf: A Winter's Tale on BBC Two, Sister Act on Channel 4 and The Morecambe and Wise Show: Look Back in Laughter on Channel 5. Doctor Who easily won its timeslot, but was narrowly beaten later in the evening by old rival Coronation Street (7.17m), and Luther (9.10m); the annual New Year's Day fireworks exploded their way to the top of the chart with 12.39m.
To enter our competition, please send the following details to email@example.com with the subject, "No Doctor, I expect you to ...":
- Your name and preferred email address
- Your country of entry (full details will be requested only if you are the winner)
- Your guess at the final viewing figure to the nearest 10,000 (eg.9.99m)
- Your guess at the final position in the chart (eg. 1st) - this will only be used in the event of a tie-break
- The competition closes at 08:00 GMT, 2nd January 2020
- Only one entry will be accepted per person.
- The competition is open worldwide
- BARB final figures are expected in early 2020, we will contact the winner once they have been published
- The prize is a copy of The Complete Series Twelve on either DVD or Bluray; we will confirm the format with the winner at time of notification.
Good luck and don't forget to watch the series opener yourself! See our guide for current schedules for the episode locally, and visit This Week in Doctor Who for the continuing adventures of all of the Doctors around the world!