Sharing her feelings about becoming the thirteenth Doctor, Jodie says:
Chris [Chibnall] wouldn’t have cast me as the Doctor because he wanted me to repeat anything that had gone before. And I think as a fan you don’t want to watch something that’s an imitation of something that’s gone before. Or what would be the point of recasting?
Also in this issue:
- CASTING JODIE: DWM asks what the arrival of Jodie Whittaker means for the future of Doctor Who.
- MONSTERS INC: We go inside the workshop of Millennium FX, with previously unseen designs and photographs from the making of the 2017 series.
- NOW WE ARE SIX HUNDRED: Former showrunner Russell T Davies talks about his illustrations for BBC Books’ collection of Doctor Who poetry.
- NICHOLAS BRIGGS AND THE CYBERMEN: Nicholas Briggs reveals the secrets of giving voice to the Mondasian Cybermen.
- HANK MARVIN: Legendary Shadows guitarist Hank Marvin discusses his surprising links to the Doctor Who theme.
- THE AZTECS: Take a fresh look at the 1964 classic The Aztecs in The Fact of Fiction.
- TREVOR BAXTER: We pay tribute to the late Trevor Baxter, who played Professor Litefoot in 1977’s The Talons of Weng-Chiang, with contributions from Tom Baker, Louise Jameson, Christopher Benjamin, Lisa Bowerman and more...
- THE PARLIAMENT OF FEAR: A brand-new comic strip adventure continues for the Doctor and Bill.
- TRAIL OF A TIME LORD: An exclusive extract from Red, White and Who, the forthcoming book about the history of the series in the United States.
- PLUS! Previews, book and audio reviews, news, the Watcher’s column, prize-winning competitions and much, much more.
Doctor Who Magazine 516 is on sale from Thursday 24 August.