With his first contribution to the show in 2004, The Empty Child, did he expect to still be writing for the series some thirteen years later?
No, God, no!. God, no! I also didn’t think I’d do the showrunning job for more than three years, and I’m here after six series. Yes, I’ve been writing Doctor Who stories since 2004. That’s a hell of a long time. When I wrote The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, I wondered if I’d ever write another Doctor Who story. I was very keen to, I really wanted to. I remember asking, ‘Would you have me back next year...?’What's next for the writer?
I’m looking forward to the idea of not having to automatically say no to everything else! Whether that’s writing jobs, or weekends away. I can write different things. I’m looking forward to that, hugely. But I am so glad it happened. I’d have been miserable if I’d never got to write Doctor Who! It’s been amazing. Of course it’s been amazing.
Also inside this issue:
- PRODUCTION NOTES Steven Moffat writes his final column for DWM, and his last-ever Doctor Who words!
- THE TOP 20! A look back at 20 amazing things about the Steven Moffat era of Doctor Who – plus tributes from Russell T Davies, Chris Chibnall, Mark Gatiss and many others...
- THE EMPIRE OF MARK GATISS The concluding part of our all-encompassing interview with actor/writer Mark Gatiss!
- THE PARLIAMENT OF FEAR There’s a brand-new adventure for the Doctor and Bill Potts in Part 1 of a new comic strip story, written by Scott Gray, with art by Staz Johnson.
- RISE AND FALL Reviews of the 2017 series, and the season finale World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls.
- TURNED UP TO ELEVEN The Fact of Fiction examines the Eleventh Doctor’s début adventure, 2010’s The Eleventh Hour!
- REVIEWS The latest DVD and audio releases are put under the microscope.
- COMING SOON Previews of all the latest Doctor Who CD and book releases.
- PLUS! All the latest official news, the Watcher’s column, prize-winning competitions, the DWM crossword, the 2017 Season Survey – and much, much more!
Doctor Who Magazine issue 515 is on sale from Thursday 27 July.