The aim is to guess the final consolidated viewing figure of The Husbands of River Song, as reported by BARB, to the nearest 10,000 viewers (i.e. two decimal places). This figure includes all those watching the episode within a week of broadcast via television, but does not include independent streaming devices.
Last year ratings on television were down across the board, with none of the Christmas Day shows managing to break the 10 million mark - Last Christmas ended up in sixth place with 8.28m viewers. In previous years, you can view the final ratings for The Christmas Invasion, The Runaway Bride, Voyage of the Damned, The Next Doctor, The End of Time part one, A Christmas Carol, The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe, The Snowmen and The Time of the Doctor via This Week in Doctor Who.
The show's best position occured in 2009 when The End Of Time (part one) arguably achieved the top spot with 12.05m viewers (11.57m on BBC One and 0.47m on BBC HD). However, it was the 2007 special, Voyage of the Damned that achieved the best rating in the decade of specials, reaching 13.31m viewers (but pipped at the post by Eastenders at 14.38m!).
To enter the competition, please send the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your name and preferred email address
- Your country of entry (full details will be requested only if you are the winner)
- Your guess at the final rating to the nearest 10,000 (eg.9.99m)
- Tie breaker: also send your guess as to what the final rating for the BBC3 repeat on Boxing Day might be - this figure will only be used in the event of a tie!
Terms and Conditions:
- The competition closes at 08:30 GMT, 26th December 2015.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person.
- The competition is open worldwide.
- BARB final figures are expected in early 2016; we will contact the winner once they have been published.
- The winner will be able to confirm the region and format of the boxed set they'd like nearer release date.
Odds on Who
At the time of writing, the (average) betting odds for the main channels are as follows:
Time BBC One Odds ITV Odds
3:00pm The Queen 34/1
3:10pm Brave 69/1 Cameraman to the Queen -
4:10pm Countrywise Winter Wonderland 100/1
4:35pm BBC News and Weather -
4:45pm Stick Man 100/1
5:00pm For The Love Of Dogs 130/1
5:15pm Doctor Who 28/1
6:00pm ITV Evening News -
6:15pm Strictly Come Dancing 9/1 You've Been Framed With Bells On 100/1
6:45pm Emmerdale 109/1
7:30pm Call The Midwife 14/1
7:45pm Coronation Street 77/2
8:45pm Eastenders 9/2 Downton Abbey 9/2
9:45pm Mrs Browns Boys 7/10
10:45pm Michael McIntyre's Big Christmas Show 62/1 Our Cilla 91/1
Having been in the top spot three years running, Mrs Brown's Boys remains the favourite for this year. Eastenders, which topped the charts in 2010 and 2011, and the final episode of Downton Abbey are currently joint second, followed by Strictly Come Dancing and Doctor Who.