Marcus Arthur, MD of BBC Worldwide & ANZ, said:
We want BBC Store to do for digital ownership what BBC iPlayer did for catch up. BBC Store makes digital ownership really easy for audiences and means that we can begin opening up the incredible BBC television archive.Bal Samra, Commercial Director of the BBC said:
BBC Store will make more of the treasure trove of BBC programmes available than ever before. This is a result of a collaborative partnership that the BBC has led, bringing together the whole of the creative industry and BBC Worldwide, and which will establish a route to sustainable commercial returns to more of the sector.Dan Taylor-Watt, Head of BBC iPlayer said:
The launch of BBC Store coincides with a significant milestone in the evolution of BBC iPlayer: the addition of ‘Places to buy’ links, enabling users to discover programmes to buy and keep and to watch BBC Store purchases back on iPlayer.
For Doctor Who the launch makes all nine series of the modern era available to purchase, either as each complete series or individual episodes (with the current series being added to as they are broadcast). The animated adventure The Infinite Quest is also available for purchase. For the 'classic' era there are currently an "editorial selection" available to represent each Doctor:
- First Doctor: The Edge of Destruction, The Aztecs, The Sensorites, Planet of Giants, The Rescue, The Web Planet, The Space Museum, The Ark, The Gunfighters, and The War Machines (The Daleks can also be found in the Search)
- Second Doctor: The Underwater Menace, The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World, The Krotons, The Seeds of Death
- Third Doctor: all, barring Day of the Daleks, and Planet of the Daleks (Inferno and Death to the Daleks can also be found in the Search)
- Fourth Doctor: all, barring Terror of the Zygons, The Android Invasion, The Seeds of Doom, Destiny of the Daleks, and City of Death
- Fifth Doctor: all, barring Enlightenment, The Five Doctors, and Resurrection of the Daleks
- Sixth Doctor: The Twin Dilemma and The Two Doctors only
- Seventh Doctor: all, barring Paradise Towers and Remembrance of the Daleks
- Eighth Doctor: the TV Movie is currently unavailable
For factual programming, you can also find the 50th anniversary documentary The Ultimate Guide and the three programmes that made up Doctor Who's Greatest Moments; the 50th anniversary drama An Adventure in Space and Time is also listed. For the spin-off series, Torchwood has Series One, Children of Earth and Miracle Day (but not Series Two!), whilst none of The Sarah Jane Adventures are currently available.
Prices can range from £1.89 for single episodes through to £21.99 for Series Nine.