Big Finish came to me, and said, 'If we write you a really good story, and if we released your seven cats which we've kidnapped, which are suspended above this flame getting lower and lower, will you perhaps do this story?' ... and I reluctantly agreed, and my cats are safe!Commenting on why he needed a little persuasion to record the story, and why he changed his mind:
Oh, the idea of a release. A release from the tension of saying 'no' repeatedly. And... it's Big Finish! That's what changed my mind.
Also in this issue:
- UNDER SURVEILLANCE! DWM tells the remarkable story of writer Malcolm Hulke, the creator of the Time Lords, Silurians and Sea Devils – and why he came under under scrutiny by MI5...
- TROUBLED TEEN: Ellis George, the actress who plays cheeky schoolgirl Courtney Woods talks to DWM about travelling in the TARDIS, and what its like to be a teenager starring in Doctor Who.
- TOP OF THE POPS! The much-anticipated results of the 2014 DWM Season Survey are in! Discover which story from Peter Capaldi's début season topped the poll, and who won the accolade for best writer, what was the favourite monster, and more...
- THE MONSTER OF PELADON! The Fact of Fiction takes a close look at the 1974 serial The Monster of Peladon, and digs deep to unearth fascinating new facts about this Third Doctor adventure.
- JUNGLE TERROR! There's ghostly goings-on for the Doctor and Clara in a brand-new comic strip adventure, Spirits of the Jungle by Jonathan Morris, illustrated by John Ross.
- HELLO, YOUNG MAN! Doctor Who's showrunner Steven Moffat answers readers' questions – and comes face-to-face with his 10-year-old self!
- TIS THE SEASON? Jacqueline Rayner considers what time of year it's traditional – and best – to watch Doctor Who – and comes to a surprising conclusion...
- THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES: The Time Team fight for space behind the sofa as they watch David Tennant's penultimate, chilling story: The Waters of Mars.
- ON THEIR WAY... DWM talks to the people involved in the latest Doctor Who CD releases, including Bonnie Langford, Nicholas Briggs, Lisa Bowerman and Mike Tucker.
PLUS! All the latest official news, reviews, competitions and The DWM Crossword.